After this weekend’s 1000 Hills Challenge record field at Nagle Dam, it’s fair to say that trail running has firmly positioned itself at one of KZN’s favourite adventure sport. The excitement for the race reached pockets of trail runners around South Africa, with some travelling from as far as Johannesburg and Cape Town to take on one of the three tough courses on offer – 38km, 21km or 10km. “That was literally 1000 hills that we ran over – it was great” said Damian Bradley, well known in the triathlon community
The weather forecasts were threatening in the lead up to the event, but only a few light showers passed through the race village on the banks of Nagle Dam, a Msinsi Resort, in the Valley of 1000 Hills.
Taking advantage of these cool running conditions before the really bad weather set in across KZN, Nomore Mandivengerei and Carla van Huyssteen won the men’s and women’s races respectively. Van Huyssteen had a comfortable, 15min lead over second placed Tracy Zunckel, but Mandivengerei had to keep working to the end, with 20 year old Mxolisi Zondi finishing only 3 minutes off the pace. The ladies podium was completed by Fikile Mbuthune and the men’s by Mdumiseni Zondi, a very classy field indeed.
1000 Hills challenge is considered one of the premium races hosted by trail running events company, KZN Trail Running. After conquering a brutal course, runners enjoyed the relaxed, invigorating atmosphere at the end of the race, taking full advantage of the free post-race massage.
Brief results (top 3/5 in each distance)
- 38km Men’s Results: 1stNomore Mandivengerei 3hr28min56s, 2ndMxolisi Zondi 3hr31min52s,
- 3rdMdumiseni Zondi 3hr35min17s.
- 38km Ladies’ Results: 1st Carla van Huyssteen 3hr58min08s, 2nd Tracy Zunckel 4hr18min21s, 3rdFikile Mbuthune 4hr20min53.
- 21km Men’s Results: 1stPhaka Gwala 1hr42min45s, 2ndMthobisiMzolo 1hr44min35s, & 3rdSiyabonga Ngcongo 1hr46min53s.
- 21km Ladies’ Results: 1stAlison Misselhorn 2h24min10s, 2ndSue Chapman 2h26min18s, 3rdKerry-Ann Walton 2hr32min04s.
- 10km Men’s Results: 1stRaymond Radebe 43min47s, 2ndHlelaniRadebe 43min50s, 3rdAlex Leven 46min47s.
- 10km Ladies’ Results: 1stShenne Davies 49min54s, 2ndCandice White 58min30s, 3rdLungi Moyikwa 59min06s.
Full results are available here: www.kzntrailrunning.co.za/2016/07/25/23-july-2016-1000-hills-challenge-results/